Friday, August 10, 2007

to gym or not to gym?

When my gym opened up 8 months ago, I was the happiest monkey around. It was right at the point where I transferred trains coming home from work. In fact, I had often said, "I wish there was a gym right here. That would be so easy for me." And then there was a gym right there. And there was much rejoicing. (yay!)

I took advantage of it. I went 3 times a week. I would bring my gym bag to work with me, then stop off quickly and easily on the way home, and still be home in time for dinner.

But then I quit my job. Now the gym is not so convenient for me, because even though I sit at home alone all day, I'd have to make a special trip out there. Lately it's been too hot to leave the house and go work out. Today it's hot AND raining. Since the gym is no longer on my way anywhere, I've simply stopped going. I feel bad because I love the gym, and I should keep working out, but the motivation is no longer there. If it was closer to my house, I would be there in a minute. But I just can't face the 20-minute train ride, plus the walking time required to get there.

Am I a bad person?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're not a bad person. Why don't you try doign some at home exercises like sit ups, push ups, crunches, leg lifts, etc, and just do a 20 min walk? STart easy....make it fun. A little bit of exercise is better than none, right?

don't beat yourself up. just decide what you are going to do about it!

super des said...

I actually did do some home sit ups. It WAS better than nothing.

Anonymous said...

I hear ya! I used to work in a hospital with a health club. I parked on that side of the building so I could stop by on my way home. It was great.

Then we moved. And now, like you, I quit work and am at home. So it's a special trip to work out. And in this heat, I'm already sweaty and tired before I step foot in the gym.

At times like these, I remember my friend who managed the hospital's health club and ran our cardio rehab program: "when it comes to working out - it's okay to lapse; it's okay to relapse...just don't collapse."

Don't feel bed - you'll be back once it cools down. You just need to establish a new routine. (This from someone who's still working on her new routine!)