Thursday, January 18, 2007

Hot Tub Hollering

A few nights ago I went to the Y to swim as usual. However, also as usual the schedule in no way reflected how the pool was actually being used. Thus, I needed to wait for a spot to open up in the sole lap swim lane. To pass the time I decided to sit in the hot tub despite the apparent risk of getting a STD (yes, I'm kidding about being concerned, but according to Oprah it could happen.) Maybe it was just because it was pretty cold out, but the water seemed unusually hot. Let's not reflect on that one too much. Anyhow, it was fairly crowded and everyone had a dazed and relaxed look on their face. Suddenly out of the corner of my eye, I spotted a young girl, maybe 11 or 12, and her younger brother who looked about 8, each wearing goggles and swim bubbles, carrying a kickboard stretched out under both arms. Just as the girl was about to take a flying leap into the very hot water, her mother let forth an ear piercing lecture. It was in another language, so while I don't really know what she said, I think it was something along the lines of "Get the fuck out of here now or you'll never be allowed to watch TV again!!!!!!!" Those two kids not only went scurrying out of the hot tub area but they flew into the lockeroom. A few minutes later the mom followed them. The other hot tub patrons and I were very shocked that
  1. Our serene reverie had been broken by ear piercing yelling
  2. Someone actually disciplined their child at the Y.
Miracles do happen.

2 comments:

Erin said...

God, that's so true and depressing. I work out at a community center and I look around and sort of feel like I'm walking on a treadmill in the middle of Wal-Mart sometimes.

I love this blog every time I check it. You write the wonderfully snarky things in my head that I don't have the balls to say out loud.

Anonymous said...

Alex, that is yet another classic. You are quite the writer. I will laugh for days thinking about that woman yelling at her kids and your second conclusion.